Asam. : Jadabata
Beng. : Amabata
Dogr. : Amavata, Gaṭhiya
Guj. : Sandhanova
Hind. : Gathiya
Kan. : Vayu Novu
Maly. : Amavatham,Rakthavatham
Mra. : Āmavāta
Ori. : Anthuganthivāta
Panj. : Gaṭhiā
Tam. : Kīlavāyu
Tel. : Vāta Kīllanoppulu
Eng. : Rheumatism
Vitiated Ama and Vayu by involves Kostha,(GIT) Trika(L S spines) and Sandhi (joints) creates pain in the joints, loss of appetite, indigestion, stiffness of joints ,swelling in joints, weakness and heaviness in the chest (heart area) this condition is known as Amavata.
Signs and Symptoms
Pain and inflammation of one or more joints particularly of hand, foot, tarsals, knee, thigh and sacrum; scorpion bite like pain in the affected joints, loss of appetite, indigestion; fever, vague pain in different parts of the body, feeling of heaviness in the body, lack of initiative, disturbance in sleep habit, stiffness in chest (heart area), constipation are the signs and symptoms of Amavata. The disease ultimately leads to the disability.
1. Powder of Shuṇṭhi (dried ginger) – 2 g., to be taken with 50 ml. warm water twice a day.
2. 12 to 24 g. leaf of Aragvadha (cassia) fried in ghee or Sarṣapa Taila (mustard oil), to be taken twice a day.
1. Decoction of equal part of Shuṇṭhī (dried ginger) and stem of Guḍuchi – 14 to 28 ml. is to be taken with 6 g. powder of fruit rind of Haritakī (chebulic myrobalan) twice a day.
1.Ajmodadi Churna: 1 to 3 g., to be taken with 50 ml. warm water twice a day.
2. Vaishvanara Churna: 3 to 6 g. is to be taken with 50 ml. warm water twice a day.
3. Guduchyadi Kvatha: 14 to 28 ml., to be taken twice a day.
4. Maha-Rasnadi Kvatha: 28 to 56 ml., to be taken before meal twice a day.
5. Rāsna-Dashamula Kvatha: 14 to 28 ml., to be taken with Eraṇḍa Taila (castor oil) – 7 to 14 ml. once a day early in the morning.
6. Rasnadi Kvatha: 14 to 28 ml., to be taken twice a day.
7. Hiṅgulesvara Rasa: 1 to 2 pills, to be taken with 50 ml. warm water twice a day.
8. Maha Yogaraja Guggulu: 1 to 2 pills, to be taken with 50 ml. warm water thrice a day.
9. Yogaraja Guggulu: 1 to 2 pills, to be taken with 50 ml. warm water thrice a day.
10. Siṁhanada Guggulu: 1 to 2 pills, to be taken with 50 ml. warm water thrice a day.
11. Vishamushtika Vaṭi: 1 to 2 pills, to be taken with 50 ml. warm watertwice a day.
12. Eraṇḍa Paka: 12 to 24 g., to be taken with 50 ml. warm water once a day.
Following local applications are useful for relieving the pain and inflammation.
1. Fomentation of the affected joint with Baluka Pottalika (sand bag).
2. Fomentation of the joint with luke warm decoction of root of Eraṇḍa (castor) twice a day.
3. Hot Lepa (poultice) prepared from the seed of Maṣa (black phaseolus) – 250 g., leaves of Rasna – 125 g. and Gandhaprasaraṇi – 125 g., root of Eraṇḍa (castor) – 125 g. and Atibala – 125 g. is to be applied on the affected part.
4. Flour of Godhuma (wheat) and powdered seed of Eranda (castor) in equal parts, mix in sufficient quantity of goat’ milk or old ghee and boil to make a Lepa (poultice). It is to be applied while hot on the affected joint.
5. Viṣagarbha Taila: to be applied on the affected joint.
Rakta Shali (a red variety of rice), seeds of Kodrava (a type of cereal(Paspalum scrobiculatumLinn)Kodo in hindi, Syamaka (a type of cereal - Panicum Frumentaceum), Yava (barley) and Kulattha (dolichos bean); warm water; Ārdraka (ginger), bulb of Rasona (garlic), leaf and fruit of Paṭola (a variety of small cucumber), root of Punarnavā (pigweed), leaves of Shigru (horse-radish) and Vastuka (a variety of chenopodium, white goose-foot) and fruit of Karavellaka (bitter gourd) are the useful articles of diet for the patient of Amavata.
Guru, Abhiṣyandi Anna; seed of Maṣa (black phaseolus bean); milk, curd, Guḍa (jaggery); incompatible and unrelished foods, fish, excessive eating, nonpotable water; sitting up at night; suppression of calls of nature and exposure to eastern winds are harmful for the patient of Amavata.
Hand book of Domestic Medicine and common Ayurvedic Remedies
CCRAS (Departement of AYUSH)MOHFW NEWDELHI 2005